Friday, January 3, 2014

King and Country is the Greatest Whistling Song

I love a good whistle. Maybe it was my standard six breakthrough performance of "Whistle While You Work" in Snow White and the Twelve (everyone got a part!) Dwarves. Eye dee kay. But I love whistling in songs. Back in two-man-band days I would whistle the horn parts of Van Morrison and B.J. Thomas tunes. Eventually the neck harmonica replaced those two tender instruments of passion, but it was fun while it lasted.

Whistling in songs has gotten a bad rap since "Young Folks" came about. I remember where I was the first time I got scolded for whistling that riff. It was May '07 on the bottom level of the CVN 76 Ronald Reagan in San Diego, on my way to check on some readings. Mike B. told me never to do that again. I haven't, although if I ever get in a situation where I want someone to move, such as a coffee shop table or subway seat, it may creep through.

Here's Rolling Stone's list of the best whistling songs. "Young Folks" made it, as did "Dock of the Bay" and the absolute stunner "Colonel Bogey March" from Bridge Over the River Kwai. But you know what didn't? You do if you read the title of this post. "King and Country" by Television Personalities. I'm not surprised, since they haven't gotten a whole lot of respect outside Pitchfork's top albums of the 80's (#64). This song is fantastic, though. I'd possibly nominate it for the top 50 "Ooh" songs. Have a listen:



I got to Television Personalities down the usual rabbit hole. Their second album on is a bit psychedelic and odd, and I prefer their earlier sound. They had no idea how you were supposed to write a song, which is how punk's supposed to be. "Geoffrey Ingram" never gets old, and is so English for a wannabe mod like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment